Monday, March 12, 2012

ZZR1400/ZX14R - new weapon of choice

(To write and share this experience requires some efforts on my side. My only hope is to get some feedback of what you think especially those with biking experience. Appreciate if u leave some comments before leaving)

Skipping various riding episodes, this is my entry about the new wheeler I just bought less than a week ago. To be exact, it was on last Thursday 8th March 2012.

This happens to be my first new bike of a latest model, ever. Its the one which cost exceeding 100 grand. Its unthinkable at first but circumstances facilitated the purchase and the selling off for the Hayabusa. It was so easy that from the conception to actual delivery took me about 10 days. However, this was the easy part.

The difficult part was to decide, without actually ridden the ZZR1400, if I should buy it and let the Hayabusa go. Hayabusa on the otherhand has been a very reliable horse and among the best looking bike I have owned. It was difficult until I test rode the ZZR1400 the ....hardest pulling bike.


the king slayer dressed in green....
And why do I make that choice? The 14 has been in close race but always a runner up to the Hayabusa for the last 6 years. Kawasaki fierce approach in new models of various reputation hinted the best in class flagship was on itsway. This follows by the 10-10-11 hype.

When finally launched the new ZZR shocked everyone with unprecedented 20hp stronger over the next closest thing. It has the power and electronics evolution which came from proven models like ZX14 2011 (power) and ZX10R 2011(electronics). While realizing the 2 aspects will not make the ZZR the greatest bike if the handling sucks, they actually boosted up with more rigid suspension and chassis for better cornering performance.

Although theoretical, 2 out of 3 proven areas are pretty reasonable odds to bank in. Its easy ergonomics (showroom sit test) is another deal clencher. Finally, the things that really steal the deal should be trade in price of the outgoing bike and final test ride I took. I actually told the salesman to tie up a ribbon on the bike and proceed with the purchase.


Finally, its in my garage
All this is not without hefty price I paid when I lost the Hayabusa group comraderie. A natural consequence for brand/model based motor groups.

Bike review will begin in the next blog entry....yawn...

2 comments:

  1. excellent posts about the 1400. I'm getting one in a couple of weeks and your reports have been the most insightful so far.

    Keep writing.
    JS

    ReplyDelete